Friday, July 08, 2011

 

Obscurity of the Day: Merry Mary

Here's a magazine cover feature that has managed to do a fine job of eluding me; the only sample I've seen is this one from the files of Cole Johnson. Art is by Virginia Huget, whose clean style I quite enjoy. You'll find several other magazine cover features by her here. The verses are supplied by Berton Braley, a poet who, if his wiki bio is any judge, specialized in doing the rhymester biz for trade journals (!) as well as general-circulation magazines and newspapers.

Based on this lone example of Merry Mary, whose date is January 1 1928, we know only that the feature ran in 1927-28 -- I'll try to track down definite dates at the Library of Congress now that I know a paper that ran it.

 EDIT: It ran 11/27/1927 - 1/29/1928

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]